Basketball Coaches Appointed For 2019 Under-20 Men’s and Women’s State Teams
Basketball Queensland would like to officially announce the coaching team who have been appointed to coach the 2019 U20’s Men and Women’s State Teams! We would like to congratulate all our coaches and managers on their appointment, and wish them and their teams every success at the National Championships next year!
Mick is currently with the Brisbane Bullets and has coached in the QBL for the last two seasons, as well as being involved with the Australian Boomers and previous U20 state teams.
Dwight Hicks – Assistant Coach
Dwight is currently the assistant coach for Ipswich’s Womens QBL team and was involved as an assistant over a 6-year period with the U20 team from 2006 – 2011. He is also involved in the primary and secondary coaching of Track and Basketball at Citipointe Christian College. After spending time at the CBSQ and tracking the current available athletes, he is extremely excited about the style of play we will be able to play with this group. Dwight said, “We have some Phenomenal athletes and the chance to work with them and help them achieve their goals as they move from junior basketball into the senior ranks.”
- Coaching director at Southern Districts Basketball Association.
- 3 years as Head Coach of the Senior Women’s Program at Southern Districts Spartans including back to back QBL championships in 2017/2018.
- I thoroughly enjoyed my experience as an assistant to Mark Wrobel with the U20 Women’s Qld team in 2018.
“I have only ever coached females so I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with Mick Downer as an assistant in the U20 Qld men’s program this year to continue my development as a coach.”
- 2018 QLD U20 Mens Team Manager
- 2017 QLD U20 Mens Team Manager
- 2016 QLD South U18 Mens Team Manager
- 2018 South West Pirates QBL Men’s Team Manager
- 2015 Ipswich Force QBL Women’s Team Manager
- 2014 Ipswich Force QBL Women’s Team Manager
“I enjoy managing the State teams and supporting basketball juniors perform their best on court.”
Peter Crawford comes into the head coach role off the back of three previous seasons as assistant coach in the WNBL with Townsville Fire as part of their championship-winning staff and Adelaide Lighting prior to that.
- Currently Head Coach of the USC Rip City Womens QBL
- This will be my 5th season with the BQ State Program
- This is my 8th year coaching basketball
“Hoping to expand my knowledge of basketball, assist in the development of the U20 QLD Women’s program and assist the coaching staff to ensure we come out the AJC’s successful.”
*QBL Townsville Flames assistant coach 2017, QLD U20 Women assistant coach 2018 and QLD North Girls Dev Coach 2016.
Linda Amberose – Manager
“I’ve been involved in basketball for the last 20 years, coaching, managing and mentoring managers. I coached club, school and representative basketball. I decided to move onto managing so I’ve been involved in D/League, SBL, QBL and State. I’m aiming for a successful season and championship whilst ensuring the athletes and coaches have a memorable and positive experience.”