The State Performance Program (SPP) involves the systematic and progressive identification, selection and development of athletes in the Under 15 to Under 20 age groups, in the aim of preparing players to represent Queensland at the Australian Junior Championships.
The program operates in two separate regions – north and south Queensland – to enable players to access specialized and dedicated individual and team resources, regardless of the athlete’s location in the state.
Athletes who meet the state selection policy criteria nominate & trial for selection through the OwnUrGoal platform and are assessed against state & national performance criteria before engaging in a dedicated training program ultimately leading to selection in the Queensland State team and experience at the Australian National level.
Open selection trials for SPP U16 & U18 are held geographically and in regions throughout Queensland.
Below is information on the 2020 Trial dates and locations:
U20 State Trials
NORTH: 15th September – Townsville
SOUTH: 14th September – QAS
U18 State Trials
NORTH: 19th-20th October – Cairns
CENTRAL: 12th-13th October – Rockhampton
SOUTH: 24th September – Sleeman
SOUTH: 26th September – Coomera
U16 State Trials
CENTRAL: Saturday 7th December – Rockhampton Basketball (11am-7pm)
NORTH: Monday 16th December – Cairns Basketball (9-5pm)
SOUTH: Wednesday 18th December – Sleeman Sports Complex
SOUTH: Thursday 19th December – Coomera Sports Centre
For an explaination of the SPP select process – U18, U16 and State Performance Program Selection Process
Identified athletes work on technical, tactical, physical, mental skills and concepts in a dedicated SPP by age program designed to improve both understanding and performance by each athlete within a team context for the duration of the SPP.
Each athletes performance history is recorded to assist assessment and ongoing selection as part of the selection process.
Selected athletes (a final 10) compete at national championship tournaments in their relevant age groups – Under 20, Under 18s and Under 16s.
Basketball Queensland has a proud history of good performance and medals at Australian Junior championships and athletes selected for National Squads and Centre of Excellence.
New and younger athletes are given representative experience through the State Development Team tour to USA to further develop each athlete’s skills and game awareness against tough & challenging opposition beyond a state Championship level.
The final sate team of 10 for the Australain Junior Championships is selected by an independent chaired panel familiar with the National standard.
State team and Emerging Team coaches are provided with National best practice training, sport-science resources, in addition to ongoing technical tactical support from regionally-dedicated State Performance Manager North or South
STATE PERFORMANCE PROGRAM OBJECTIVES:
- Identify athletes displaying the characteristics and ability of an elite athlete at Regional & State Championships, SPP trials and through the Future Development Program,
- Transition ‘potential’ into ‘talent’ by developing, reinforcing and monitoring positive training habits & providing progressive technical and tactical instruction to SPP athletes
- Increase training contact time with expert coaches under the direction of SPM north & south
- Educate athletes about sports science and sports medicine and how it relates to their own performance
- Effectively prepare athletes individually and as a state team for National Championships, both in their home environments and through centralised camps or well-planned program
- Provide effective performance and coaching support for State Team coaches
- Prioritise and Improve the preparation and development of lower-age players
- Provide regional support for identified talented SPP coaches and athletes through a remote management plan including the use of the BQ OwnUrGoal APP and other technology
Like to know more about the State Performance Program (SPP)?
Email Basketball Queensland State Performance Manager: