The top tier of the Basketball Queensland elite development pathway, the National Performance Program ( NPP ) is a dedicated and intensive program for Queensland’s elite basketball athletes, providing development, training and support for athletes identified at the national & international level.
Basketball Queensland, in conjunction with Basketball Australia’s Centre of Excellence, identifies Queensland’s elite junior basketball athletes for selection into the NPP each year. The aim is to identify international standard athletes & prepare them for selection into the Australian Under 17 and Under 19 Junior teams, or for a scholarship at the AIS as part of Basketball Australia’s Centre of Excellence (CoE).
Selection Criteria & Requirements
Athletes wishing to enter into the National Performance Program must provide an application. Basketball Queensland and Basketball Australia selectors will identify athletes from their applications who best fit the future Boomers and Opals characteristics.
- Individual athletes’ physical attributes, commitment & elite athlete mindset, athletic talent and potential basketball talent all form part of the selection criteria.
- Selected Players will have the potential to be identified for or have been identified for the following national teams or programs:
- Under 17 men’s and Under 17 women’s teams
- Under 19 Emus (men) and Under 19 Gems (women)
- CoE or NBA Global academy scholarship