Basketball Queensland, alongside Basketball Australia, members and associations, are continuing to monitor the situation regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and its impact on basketball participation across the state.
Our updates on specific basketball activities and events are listed below.
We’ve also created this COVID-19 FAQs page to help answer any questions the basketball community may have.
24 March, 2020 Update
NBL 1 North Cancelled
The NBL in conjunction with Basketball Queensland, Basketball Victoria and Basketball South Australia have come to an agreement that all three conferences for the forthcoming 2020 NBL1 season have been cancelled.
Read more here.
23 March, 2020 Update
As stated by the Prime Minister and the Queensland Premier, a number of businesses will be closed from 12pm, Monday 23 March including indoor sporting venues. BQ would like to reiterate, as stated last week, ALL basketball activities including training and fixtures have been suspended until further notice.
BQ will continue to work with associations and members across the state to ensure the health and safety of the basketball community during this time.
18 March, 2020 Update
Due to the ever-evolving nature surrounding COVID-19, Basketball Queensland (BQ) has been consulting with members and associations following our temporary suspension of all BQ related programs, events and fixtures on Friday, 13 March 2020.
We have a duty of care to all our members, from players to volunteers, and as the State governing body it’s important that we factor the health and well being of our participants into every decision we make.
Earlier this morning the Australian Government has revised their ban on indoor gatherings to no more than 100 people and reinforced the practice of social distancing.
As such, we recommend that all basketball activities across the state are suspended until further notice to limit the potential spread of COVID-19 and ensure the safety of our members.
While this will cause some disruptions to the basketball community, we feel this is an appropriate measure given the uncertainty of the current climate.
We can also confirm that the suspension of BQ activities will extend to include the following events;
BQJBC, CQJBC and QNJBC
- BQJBC U16, U18 & U21s Finals – Cancelled
- Medals will be awarded based on the current standings
- BQJBC, CQJBC and QNJBC U12 & U14s – Suspended until 15 May 2020
- We will review the revised start date on 15 April with associations
- We are currently working on a revised draw to ensure a full season for players
- U16 State Championships – Postponed until 19-22nd June 2020 (to be held at same venues if possible)
- We will review this decision in May 2020 to determine if this tournament can proceed at that time
- U12 & U14 State Championships – Unchanged
- We will review the decision to hold the U12s (Boys & Girls: 7-10 July) and U14s (Girls: 28 June – 1 July and Boys: 2-5 July) in May
State Performance Program (SPP) and National Performance Program (NPP)
- All SPP and NPP programs have been suspended until further notice
U18 Australian Junior Championships
- Basketball Australia (BA) has advised that the Australian Junior Championships scheduled for April will no longer be proceeding.
- At this stage BA are investigating the option of moving these championships to a different window, however, this has not yet been confirmed.
- Aussie Hoops – All Term 1 Aussie Hoops programs have been suspended by BA
- Subsequently, Term Two Aussie Hoops programs and registrations are currently suspended.
Additionally, BA have determined the programs identified below will be placed on hold until further notice:
- Walking Basketball
- 3X3 Community Hustle
- National Wheelchair Basketball Leagues (Men’s & Women’s).
- Start date for the QSL suspended until 15 May 2020 with Associations to be advised of revised draw.
- This will be reviewed on 9 April 2020 to determine whether the season can proceed at that time.
BQ will continue to monitor the situation daily. We acknowledge that this is a dynamic situation and information and advice from the Australian Government and Health Departments will be constantly updated. BQ commits to providing additional information to our members as it becomes available.
Throughout this time all Basketball Queensland staff will be working remotely. Please refer to the Staff page on our website for updated contact details.
Advice to Members
BQ encourages all our members to take all reasonable precautions where appropriate to limit potentials risks in relation to the spread of COVID-19.
Transmission may occur from contaminated surfaces, so it is important to frequently wash your hands.
To protect yourself and others from infection practice good hand and respiratory hygiene including:
- cleaning hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs
- covering your nose and mouth with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing
- avoiding contact with anyone who has symptoms such as fever, a cough, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath; and
- staying home if you are unwell.
If you are feeling unwell, please see your doctor immediately. Before your appointment, please call ahead and advise of your symptoms and recent travel so necessary precautions can be undertaken.