There are no excuses when it comes to developing ball handling skills. Whether you are on the court, at the local park or in your bedroom you can easily practice the ball handling drills to help develop your skill level.
Ball Dribbling Drills
These drills work on ball control as well as specific moves.
- Figure 8 – Stand in a wide stance and dribble the ball in a figure 8 around and through both legs. Larger bounces for beginners and smaller bounces once you are comfortable with this.
- 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 – With one hand, pound the ball twice, then bounce the ball side-to-side, then bounce the ball front and back, and finally 2 in-and-outs.
- Skip Dribble – Skip in a straight line both forwards and backwards, whilst (beginners) dribbling crossovers, (intermediate) dribbling between the legs, (advanced) dribbling behind your back.
- Zig Zag Dribble – Zig zag up-and-down the court (park, or bedroom) whilst beginners) dribbling crossovers, (intermediate) dribbling between the legs, (advanced) dribbling behind your back.
- Pistol Drill – Using your left hand dribble the ball over your left leg and over the right leg. Simply put, dribble the ball similar to a figure 8 through your legs, but whilst walking.
- Cross, Cross, Between, Wall – Cross over the ball twice, then dribble it between your legs before throwing it at a wall. Catch the ball with the same throwing hand and then repeat with opposite hand.
Watch these Ball Dribbling Drills here:
Tennis Ball Dribbling Drills
Tennis ball drills work on two things primarily: hand-eye coordination and forcing you to dribble a basketball without looking down.
- Snatch and Pound– Toss the tennis ball up in the air with snatch the ball with the left hand and at the same pound drill with the right hand. Repeat with opposite hands.
- Toss Up and One Hand Move – Toss the tennis ball up in the air with the left hand and either V dribble or in and out with the right hand (whilst the ball is in the air)
- Cross Over – Toss the ball up in the air with the left hand and catch it with the right hand at the same time as completing one crossover.
Watch these Tennis Ball Dribbling Drills here:
Partner Ball Dribbling Drills
Completing the above skills but with a partner.
- Chest Pass / No Dribble – With one hand throw the ball to your partner and with the other hand catch the ball from your partner. Repeat process passing back and forth nonstop.
- Bounce Pass – With one hand bounce the ball to your partner and with the other hand catch the ball from your partner. Repeat process passing back and forth nonstop.
Tennis Ball Throw
- Toss and Dribble – Dribble ball in right hand and partner with their left and throw the tennis ball back and forth. Repeat with opposite hand. For added difficulty slide up the court at the same time.
- Toss and Crossover – Toss the tennis ball to your partner and after doing so, complete a crossover, your partner will then throw the tennis ball back to you and complete a crossover. Repeat the process passing back and forth nonstop. For added difficulty, you can change up your crossover: in front, between the legs, behind the back.